VRLA AGM batteries are one of the two broad types of SMF batteries. They are so called because they use absorbed glass mat (AGM) as separator. AGM is a porous glass mat separator with the ability to absorb a large amount of electrolyte while still allowing some pores to be unfilled. These empty pores act as channels for oxygen to move from the +ve plate to the –ve plate. That is why these batteries are called VRLA AGM batteries.
Advantages of VRLA AGM batteries are:
- Widest temperature range of all the battery types
- Lowest self-discharge rate of all the battery types
- Best shock/vibration resistance of all the battery types
- Best performance for high power applications
- Less expensive than VRLA Gel batteries
Disadvantages of VRLA AGM batteries are:
- Don’t perform as good as flooded or VRLA Gel batteries in regular deep discharge (>80% DOD) applications
- Don’t perform as good as VRLA Gel batteries in low power applications
We have a wide range of VRLA AGM batteries, which are specifically tailored for various types of applications.